Monday 16 July 2007

Are Women's Magazines Sizest?

When I decided to put my diary online for everyone to see, I promised glitz, glamour and goss, but I also promised that I would give you an insight to my label, and the things that go on behind the scenes. So far all I have spoken about is the “glam” aspect of this business, what I haven’t done is talk about what it’s really like to run your own business and the tribulations and triumphs that come with it!

I have always had a strong work ethic, shoot for the stars, dream BIG, work hard and NEVER, EVER give up, however at the end of the day it’s not always smooth sailing… this week, I have felt a deep tinge of disillusionment and disappointment in the industry I am trying to hard to make a change to. So to say I have a bone to pick is an understatement!

I generally stay away from reading magazines, especially when I am in a “designing” mood, I prefer to draw influences from less common places, however I decided to buy a copy of a few different “popular” women’s publications and was left feeling infuriated.
I digress, I started this label because I felt there was a desperate need of quality clothing for “real” women that was sexy, tailored and glamorous. I wanted to make a difference in the media and the way women are perceived, I wanted women to feel empowered by fashion rather than enslaved.

Yet it seems every time I open a women’s mag something catches my eye and sends me into fury. There was one publication in particular which will remain nameless that had a great article on women over coming eating disorders and what they went through to finally reach a point where they were “friends” with their body, these were real everyday women, in each of their stories they mentioned the pressure of feeling as if they needed to aspire to some “perfect” ideal… accompanying this story was information on places you could turn to if you felt you could be suffering an eating disorder, then to my sheer astonishment on the opposite page was an ad for a fashion label with a 6 foot size 2 model that looked barely 15. Enveloped by a lycra sheath. Does anyone else see a problem with this?

It’s all good and well for these magazines to highlight the problems that women face, I applaud it, however it’s almost futile when they continue to fill the rest of their pages with advertisements and editorials filled with women that represent 1% of the population, whom by the way have been airbrushed and photo shopped within an inch of their miniature waist lines and flawless faces.

Another publication that shall not be mentioned featured all the latest trends and where you can get them, in all of it’s 200 pages with everything from make-up to shoes… only 2 thats TWO fashion labels featured in the entire publication did to a size 16, a few more went to a 14 and the majority were to a size 12, and ONLY one label that provided her range up to size 20. How can this be, when 65% of women in Australia alone are a size 16 or more!

My fabulous right hand and operations manager, Cath, was out on the weekend, and got into a rather heated debate with a male in his mid 20’s who works in the banking sector, he questioned our label and it’s relevance in the market place, claiming that “bigger” women don’t shop, have no money, and no desire to look nice. What’s worse was she had to explain to him point by point, statistic by statistic why he was so far off the mark, till he finally agreed she had a fair argument. When she told me this my blood boiled and I was so very saddened, is this really what it’s come to? Is this the perception of women who don’t fit the “perfect” size 8 stereo type?

So I implore all of you that may be reading this for your feedback, I want to know about your experiences, your feelings and what goes through your mind every time you open a magazine, or walk into a shop that doesn’t have YOUR size! What happens when you want to find something for a special occasion or something nice for work, and you are forced into a department called “plus size” even though you represent the average, real woman. I want to know what goes through your minds when you read these magazines and see the TV shows, I want to hear YOUR stories…mailto:info@lilmama.com.au

Please email me at
Look forward to hearing from you all, till next week.
Much LuvMamaxxx

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes. No question. You are right.
I offer plus size clothing on my site; but it is difficult. I have to search a long time just to find something. It just so happens that today I found some blouses in Junior Plus, and Missy Plus sizes. Check them out at: http://loveoffashion.com/WomensEveningWearTops.html

Anonymous said...

[B]NZBsRus.com[/B]
Dismiss Idle Downloads Using NZB Downloads You Can Hastily Search HD Movies, Games, MP3 Albums, Software & Download Them at Accelerated Rates

[URL=http://www.nzbsrus.com][B]Newsgroup[/B][/URL]

Anonymous said...

You could easily be making money online in the hush-hush world of [URL=http://www.www.blackhatmoneymaker.com]blackhat ppc[/URL], You are far from alone if you don't know what blackhat is. Blackhat marketing uses alternative or misunderstood avenues to generate an income online.

Anonymous said...

I went to Doll House and had the worst experience of my life. I ordered a dress 3 months before my formal and it didn’t come in. she told me the dress was customized but was told a week before my formal that they could not do it and was told to chose another dress from the shop which upset me as I had my heart set on the dress I ordered. Thank you Doll House for destroying my only formal it was the worst time.

Anonymous said...

Mailing plans has become worry-free utilizing oxygen shipment tracking. Provided that you hold the waybill selection along, you can check the exact area of your delivery in the event it haven't but been delivered to their destination. how to unlock iphone 3g after restore A different way you possibly can validate your computer data, products, along with data files, is to copy straight to a data Disc as well as Dvd and blu-ray. This way, you could decide upon in which files and also files you ought to maintain. If you use CD/RW or simply DVD/RW hard drives, you can to add details for them after you produce a file backup. If anyone don�t take advantage of the RW (re-writable) media channels, then you certainly won�t be capable of rewind together with add more info to your dvd.
link securely simply by being taught the actual fundamentals [b]how to unlock iphone 3g 16 gb for free [/b]
[url=http://fastunlockiphone3ghelps.info]Read This[/url]
safe and sound through understanding the concepts of standard principles http://fastunlockiphone3ghelps.info ,

Unknown said...

Thank You Admin for such a Great Post. We the biggest face painter, body painter, picasso glitter tattoo, glitter tattoo, theatrical makeup in face painter VA, face painter Hampton Roads, face painter Tidewater, face painter Norfolk and serving in the Virginia Area. We Offer Face Painting, Belly Bumps, Glitter Tattoo and Theatrical Makeup with Reasonable Prices.

Unknown said...

Glitter tattoos are a fun treat for everybody and the ideal party reminder.
These glitter tattoos can last from 3 to 7 days with proper care.
They're waterproof and sweat proof. With an extensive range of designs that your guests can choose
from we are a spectacular addition to your parties, corporate events or any special occasion.Relevant Backlink

Anonymous said...

I have NEVER had the oppertunity to get lean by consuming 6 meals per day. I think that in case you keep the body temperature up after swimming, you'll be able to lose fat cheap phen375 gnc has visit be considered a beloved constructor of herbal and fat loss supplements. Herbal colon cleanser including Bowtrol can be a powerful natural colon cleanser that can be useful for natural weight reduction. Of, course you can not eat only these food types, however it can go an extended approach to making your efforts more successful http://www.phen375factsheet.com you know very well what will be an enormous impediment on the time. When you consider the volume of sugar that's combined with many with the foods you could already be eating, the additional sugar you put in your coffee, cereal and other treats is major overkill [url=http://www.phen375factsheet.com]phen375[/url] cleanse your colon is an extremely safe and effective way to acquire eliminate and prevent future increase of dangerous toxins in the body as well as simple way to lose some pounds of body mass.

blazers for women said...


Nice post love reading it

blazers for women

Leather jacket women

Womens Leather Biker Jacket